Facility Modernization & Maintenance
Facility Modernization Projects
January-March 2020: Roof Replacements, Interior Renovations, Flooring and HVAC Parts Replacement
Roof Replacement (B-Wing Roof) Status: Planning and Design
This project anticipates a replacement of the final piece of the roof system of the school.
- Progress through Q3: Designer of Records prepared the drawings and specifications for the project with scheduled completion in early Q4.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: Upon the completion of the design work a contractor will be selected through a competitive bids process through ACPS Procurement.
Ongoing Interior Renovations Status: Implementation
This project consists of renovating classrooms throughout the facility.
- Progress through Q3: Four additional classrooms were renovated (asbestos abatement, installation of new luxury vinyl flooring, transitioned to LED lighting, new ceiling tiles added, and new interior painting).
- Anticipated progress through Q4: Implementation of various projects around the school including restroom renovations, installation of new drinking fountains throughout the school, environmental assessment, and clean-up around the school and in the basement.
Flooring (A-Wing) Status: Implementation
This project will remove asbestos-containing flooring and replace it with new luxury vinyl flooring throughout the A-wing of the school.
- Progress through Q3: The project is being coordinated with ongoing interior renovations. Progress includes scoping and attaining proposals for the included disciplines. Numerous areas will undergo asbestos abatement and monitoring, removal of vinyl composite tile, and installation of new luxury vinyl tile. The scope of work includes various classrooms, hallways and entrance foyers.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: Asbestos removal/monitoring will be completed in Q4. The new flooring installation will commence in Q4 and be completed over the summer.
Flooring for 6th Grade Offices Status: Pending Close-Out
This project scope of work is to replace flooring in the 6th-grade office suite after removing the asbestos under several layers of tile. The flooring will be replaced with luxury vinyl tile.
- Progress through Q3: The work was scheduled and was completed over Winter break, pending close-out.
- Progress through Q4: Close-out.
HVAC (Fan Coil Replacements) Status: Initiation
This project anticipated to replace or repair faulty and aged equipment in classrooms in wing “A” and “C” upon the completion of an assessment by a design consultant.
- Progress through Q3: a scope of work was created and a request for proposals was sent out to a designer.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: A designer will be selected based on the quality of their proposal and must start work no later May 20. Design work completion is scheduled for late June 2020.
October-December 2019: Classroom Upgrades
Progress was made in interior renovations at George Washington Middle School in Q2. Six classrooms were renovated. This included: flooring, LED lighting, replacement of ceiling tiles and painting.
Four more classrooms will be renovated in Q3. This includes: flooring, LED lighting, replacement of ceiling tiles and painting. Summer modernization work will also be scoped.
July-September 2019: HVAC, Kitchen and Cafeteria Updates
During the first quarter of this fiscal year, eight rooftop HVAC units were replaced and commissioned above the auditorium and adjacent classrooms. There may need to be additional adjustments in the second quarter as we transition to heat.
The majority of the kitchen and cafeteria upgrades are complete. This will allow for the full use of the kitchen as the project is closed out and punch list items addressed.
Asbestos Remediation: $13,000
Water Intrusion: $99,000
Total amount spent on modernization projects for George Washington Middle School between July through September 2019: $1,431,543.
An additional $161,050 from system wide monies was spent on:
Asbestos Remediation: $7,800
Targeted Assessment: Comprehensive Condition Audit
In August, 2019, ACPS published the results of a targeted comprehensive condition audit of George Washington Middle School performed by third party contractors. The auditors found the following issues:
Window Issues, No Ventilation Air in Classrooms Rooms A160 Through A165, Broken Sump Pump in Mechanical Equipment Room, Boiler Not Operational.
Read more about the audit of the GWMS facility (PDF) beginning on page 91.